Tuesday September 14, 2010

Penang cops to reopen unsolved murder cases

GEORGE TOWN: Penang police are reopening unsolved murder cases in the state over the past few years, particularly those involving lawyers.

State police chief Deputy Comm Datuk Wira Ayub Yaakob said a special committee would relook those cases to see if there were any new developments.

He was commenting on unsolved cases of lawyers who were murdered in the state over the past few years.

On whether these cases could be linked to the murder of cosmetics millionaire Datuk Sosilawati Lawiya, DCP Ayub said they were studying all possibilities.

On July 27 last year, four men cornered lawyer R. Thinakaran Raman, 37, outside a Hindu temple in Supreme Garden, Prai, before forcing him to drink a substance, believed to be detergent. He died a day later of acute renal failure.

Two weeks before his death, he was dragged out of a burning car on the Penang Bridge by passers-by and while resting against the concrete railings of the bridge, accidentally fell into the sea but survived after fishermen rescued him.

On Nov 6, 2007, senior civil lawyer Datuk S.P. Annamalai, 59, died of excessive loss of blood after he was stabbed with a long knife when he was walking to his car in Green Hall here.

His clerk S. Nalaaini, 22, said that the assailant fled on a motorcycle.

On March 2, 2000, lawyer Chew Sien Chee, 39, was shot twice in the neck by a hitman in Tingkat Betik 2, Taman Seri Jaya, Bukit Mertajam.

He had just entered his Mercedes Benz and was about to leave the house for work when the man approached him and fired three times at close range, hitting Chew twice.

He died without regaining consciousness.

On Oct 19, 1997, criminal lawyer S. Pathmanathan, 29, was found dead with nine stab wounds in the neck and back at his China Street office. He was believed to have been murdered the previous evening or night.

He was found with his hands tied behind his back with a metal chain and a padlock while his mouth was mask taped.

Triptipal Singh, 60, was shot in the back outside his house in Jalan Yeap Chor Ee on Oct 15, 1992. He died of heart complications on Nov 1.

Two men had walked up to him from behind and fired five shots at point-blank range. Three of the shots hit him.

Related Stories:
Eldest daughter Rita to inherit estate
Both lawyer brothers were disbarred in November
Cops have not confirmed his death, banker’s wife says
Police probe link to several missing persons reports
Empire made from scratch
Wife: My hubby missing after visiting brothers
More may have died at hands of Sosilawati killers


Most Viewed

Powered by