Home > Archives
Published: Friday November 5, 2010 MYT 12:32:00 PM
By FOONG PEK YEE
PETALING JAYA: The floods in Alor Setar had been worsened by the electrified double-tracking railway project, Housing and Local Government Minister Datuk Chor Chee Heung said.
He added the outflow of the water was affected by the tracks themselves, adding that contingency plans to allow water to flow out should be in place.
Chor said he had informed Transport Minister Datuk Seri Kong Cho Ha on the matter.
As a result of the poor outflow, areas which were not seriously flooded before were now submerged in several feet of water, he added, citing Taman Lumba Kuda, Taman Golf, Taman Rakyat and Taman Malaysia as examples.
Chor, who is Alor Setar MP, stay with his family in Taman Lumba Kuda.
“My house is now under four feet of water. We have been staying there since 1985, and this is the first time water has come into the house. There had been floods before, but only the roads were inundated,” he said.
Chor had not been back to his house since Thursday as he was visiting other flooded areas and directing the Fire and Rescue personnel on the rescue work.
He said his relatives had to come to offer help to his wife.
Chor also attributed the poor rescue work in the flooded areas to the lack of experience by the PAS-led state government in dealing with the situation.
Neighbours heard cries of children being beaten
RM1mil reward offer for information on Dr M's alleged misdeeds
Body of child found buried in kitchen
‘Wild’ party ends for 51 at popular mall
Money down the drain
Man killed after car smashes into toll booth barrier
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)