Published: Friday March 27, 2009 MYT 8:24:00 PM
Updated: Friday March 27, 2009 MYT 8:53:55 PM

Remains of boy killed by snake exhumed

KLANG: The remains of an 11-year-old boy who died of snake bite on March 21 were exhumed at the Simpang Lima Muslim cemetery here on Friday to facilitate police investigations into his death.

Wan Muhammad Amir Dahalan was bitten by a snake on March 20 at a three-day summer camp he was attending in Hulu Langat.

The SRK Taman Andalas student had initially been admitted to the Kajang Hospital but was transferred to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital several hours later after his condition deteriorated.

Wan Muhammad Amir, who lived with his aunt in Klang whilst the rest of his family was in Penang, died at the Kuala Lumpur Hospital at 3.15 am.

According to the boy’s family lawyer Gurdial Singh, his clients had sought and obtained a court order from the Jalan Duta magistrates court to exhume the body in order for a post-mortem to be carried out.

They were too overcome by grief at the time of Wan Muhammad Amirs death to realise that they had to have a post-mortem done of they wanted the police to investigate his death, said Gurdial.

He said Wan Muhammad Amirs family wanted his death to be investigated because they felt the camp’s administrators owed them a duty of care to ensure that the boy was not harmed while under their care.

Gurdial added the family also believed that there was an element of negligence that led to Wan Muhammad Amir’s death.

Meanwhile, Wan Muhammad Amir’s mother Raja Maspura Raja Ahmad said her son had come to live with her elder sister in Klang early this year.

She added the family wanted to pursue the matter because the camp’s administration insisted that he had died of an asthma attack.

“As far as I know my son is not asthmatic and is a healthy boy,” said Raja Maspura when met at the cemetery.

Raja Maspura, 46, added that she received a call at 11.30am on March 20 from her sister saying that Wan Muhammad Amir had taken ill.

She said she arrived at the Kuala Lumpur well after 1.00am on March 21 and her son died soon after that.

“The doctor told us my son suffered from internal bleeding due to the snake’s venom and we saw puncture marks near his waist,” said Raja Maspura who is a civil servant.

The remains of Wan Muhammad Amir, who was the youngest of her four children, was rushed to the KLH for a post-mortem after the exhumation.


Most Viewed

Powered by