Home > Archives
Published: Tuesday October 20, 2009 MYT 7:09:00 PM
By SYLVIA LOOI
IPOH: The Sessions Court here was cleared in the midst of a corruption trial to allow the viewing of a video clip of the alleged sexual acts committed by two of the accused.
Sessions judge Azhaniz Teh Azman Teh allowed the application from Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) head of prosecution unit Datuk Abdul Razak Musa to view the clip in camera to save the accused embarrassment.
Defence lawyer Surjan Singh, however, objected to the move, saying that the matter had received wide media coverage.
“Why do it in camera now? If you want to dance, dance properly,” he said prompting the judge to ask the defence lawyers to confirm the matter with their clients.
The accused later agreed to view the recordings in camera after deliberating the matter with their lawyers.
The court was told that the alleged sexual acts were committed at an apartment in Batu Feringgi, Penang by former Perak Tengah district councillor Zul Hassan, 45, businessman Fairul Azrim Ismail, 31 and Perak Development Corporation technician Ruslan Sahat.
Businessman Mohamad Imran Abdullah, 34, who acted as the agent provocateur for the commission, made the recordings using pinhole cameras placed in rooms used by Zul and Ruslan.
Lawyers who viewed the footages confirmed that it showed the men performing sexual acts on Chinese women.
The three were jointly charged with former PKR exco members Mohd Osman Mohd Jailu, 57, and Jamaluddin Mohd Radzi, 52 and former Perak Tengah district councillor Usaili Alias, 56, over the proposed multi-million ringgit development project in Seri Iskandar.
The offences were allegedly committed by them to help Mohamad Imran obtain the project.
Ruslan was previously charged along with the five accused but the charges against him were dropped following his death in August.
Besides recordings of the sexual acts, the court was also shown footages of how Mohamad Imran wanted to hand over money to Mohd Osman and Jamaluddin on separate occasions but was asked to hand the money to Usaili by them.
Earlier in the morning, lawyer for Mohd Osman and Jamaluddin Mohd Roni Abdul Rahman produced a letter from assembly secretary Zamari Mohd Ramli to the two to attend the state assembly sitting from Oct 28 to Oct 30.
”As such, my clients request for an adjournment of the case on those days,” he said.
The judge later allowed the application.
Hearing continues Tuesday where Mohamad Imran will be cross-examined by the defence lawyers.
Fire breaks out in Bukit Aman
Cabinet reshuffle: Who's in, who's out
China escalator swallows toddler's mother
Mukhriz pays visit to Muhyiddin
Opposition MPs to move no-confidence vote against Najib
Cabinet reshuffle: Ahmad Zahid is new DPM, Muhyiddin dropped
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)