Home > Archives
Sunday September 7, 2008 MYT 8:20:15 PM
By MEERA VIJAYAN
JOHOR BARU: Private companies have been requested to stop giving out petrol as a contest prize as it was subsidised by the Government.
Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Minister Datuk Shahrir Abdul Samad said although he understood the rationale behind the prize, petrol was not a suitable gift when companies were trying to promote their products.
“I hope that the oil and car companies will stop giving out free petrol as each litre of petrol is subsidised with money from taxpayers,” he told reporters after handing out bubur lambuk at Masjid Jamek in Bandar Baru Uda on Sunday.
Shahrir said he had already informed his officers to pass the message to the relevant companies and that a “reasonable” deadline would be given.
“Those that have already announced their contests can finish them or they may be sued for misrepresentation, but must desist after that.
“Other companies should also not attempt to offer such prizes in future,” he said.
Shahrir pointed out that action could also be taken against the companies as petrol was under the list of controlled goods.
“We probably won’t take immediate action, as these companies probably were not doing it intentionally,” he said.
Female Myvi driver arrested
Family of three killed on DUKE after collision with speeding car
Myvi club pledges to support orphaned sisters
We were not racing, claim Myvi club members
Najib’s brother Nazir explains his views on controversy over 1MDB issue
I was stupid, says ex-street racer
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)