Home > Archives
Wednesday April 23, 2008
By AMANDA LEE
KUALA LUMPUR: All it takes is one fruit or 100ml of its juice and the ordinarily harmless star fruit becomes poison in a matter of hours for kidney patients.
University Malaya Medical Centre consultant nephrologist Prof Dr Tan Si-Yen said this was what had happened to Tang Gon Seang in China.
The 66-year-old, who has been suffering from a kidney ailment, was in Shenzhen visiting his son when fell into a coma on March 29 after eating star fruits.
“Star fruits contain a neurotoxin which is not present in other fruits. It affects the brain and nerves. In healthy persons, the kidneys filter it out.
“In kidney patients, it cannot be removed and worsens their condition,” he said.
More than 10 other patients in the hospital suffered the same condition after consuming star fruits. Two of them died.
After discovering the star fruit connection, Tang has been undergoing dialysis.
His brother-in-law Teoh Thian Lye, 55, confirmed that Tang had been on medication for kidney problems for three years.
The family sought the help of MCA Public Complaints and Services Department head Datuk Michael Chong to transfer Tang back to Malaysia as the family could not afford the hospital bill of RM1,000-RM2,000 a day in intensive care.
According to Dr Tan, there was little awareness of this relatively new discovery and no local cases yet.
“The public must be alert to reactions to star fruit. Look out for initial symptoms including hiccups, numbness and weakness, and neurological symptoms including confusion, agitation and epileptic fits,” he said.
“The risk of death is high,” he added.
Neighbours heard cries of children being beaten
RM1mil reward offer for information on Dr M's alleged misdeeds
Body of child found buried in kitchen
‘Wild’ party ends for 51 at popular mall
Money down the drain
Image on Google Street View may be that of missing boy
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)