Home > Archives
Friday April 18, 2008
BACK in the 1950s, the Seri Kembangan New Village was known as the Serdang New Village.
The village was established in 1952 when the British moved Chinese villagers living around Sungai Besi to a centralised location due to the communist threat during the insurgency.
The area was close to rubber estates and the jungle posed dangers of a different kind.
In its early days, the village had 50 houses and all were built from scratch because the British only provided empty plots of land.
Most of the 15,000 inhabitants earned meagre incomes as mining workers and rubber tappers.
The present day scenario is vastly different. For one, there are now 2,500 houses with only a smattering of the original wooden houses left and the population is thought to be 150,000, largely made up of entrepreneurs, businessmen and professionals.
A network of roads forms the 13 sections of the village and commercialisation has come to this sleepy hollow in a big way.
At one point, the Seri Kembangan New Village was known for cottage industries like shoe-making but this has been overtaken by more profitable ventures.
Land titles: Selangor to see how Perak does it
Villagers say RM2.50 premium for 99-year lease too high
Neighbours heard cries of children being beaten
RM1mil reward offer for information on Dr M's alleged misdeeds
Body of child found buried in kitchen
‘Wild’ party ends for 51 at popular mall
Money down the drain
Man killed after car smashes into toll booth barrier
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)