Home > Archives
Tuesday December 2, 2008
KUALA LUMPUR: The resignations in September of KTM Bhd chairman Tan Sri Lim Ah Lek and two directors have not affected the operations of the railway company, said Transport Minister Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat.
“Otherwise, we would not have been able to do this,” he said yesterday referring to the overhauling of locomotives and electric multiple units (EMUs) at the Sentul workshop and depot.
However, Ong declined to comment further as he said the appointments are under the Finance Ministry.
“Something is in progress. Be more patient,” he told reporters after visiting the workshop and depot.
The two independent non-executive directors who tendered their resignations are Datuk Wong Mook Leong and Dr Kader Sultan Md Ismail. There are eight board members in KTMB.
It was reported in September that Lim and some of the independent non-executive directors had resigned in protest after the Government revoked an earlier decision to appoint former Pos Malaysia Bhd chief executive officer Datuk Idrose Mohamed as the new managing director.
Former general manager of KTMB’s freight services division Abdul Radzak Abdul Malek was appointed instead, taking over from Datuk Mohd Salleh Abdullah on Sept 2.
On the overhauling of the locomotives, Ong said that only five locomotives out of 20 were operational in May.
However, a task force formed by KTMB in September to resolve the issue resulted in 18 units being overhauled and operational now.
Among the steps taken, he said, were bringing in the Chinese supplier from Dalian to carry out the work at no cost as the units were still under warranty.
Ong said the remaining two units would be ready for use by the end of the month.
On the EMUs, he said that 12 out of 20 units had been overhauled, work was on schedule and would be completed by March.
Female Myvi driver arrested
Family of three killed on DUKE after collision with speeding car
Petaling Street ‘stripper’ tests positive for meth
Najib’s brother Nazir explains his views on controversy over 1MDB issue
Cordyceps the culprit
Sources: Eight-month ban for Chong Wei
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)