Home > Archives
Wednesday January 16, 2008
MALAYSIAN badminton fans are in for a heartbreak. Their hopes of another showdown between national ace Wong Mew Choo and Chinas top seed Xie Xingfang in the Malaysian Open will not materialise after all.
Yesterday, Xingfang withdrew from the tournament following a freak accident in her hotel. She hurt her elbow after falling down in her hotel bathroom.
Her exclusion was confirmed by tournament referee Torsten Berg yesterday.
In Xingfangs absence, Mew Choo now has a better chance to reach the semi-finals.
Today, Mew Choo will take on compatriot Julia Wong in the first round.
National womens singles coach Wong Tat Meng said that Mew Choo had shown good progress since losing in the first round of the Hong Kong Open due to knee injuries.
She did not take part in the Korat SEA Games last month but she has made steady progress. She has been training hard for the last two weeks, said Tat Meng.
But this is her first real tournament after her China Open victory two months ago.
The Malaysian Open will show where she stands.
Last year, Mew Choo lost to Chinas Zhu Lin in the Malaysian Open final.
Female Myvi driver arrested
Family of three killed on DUKE after collision with speeding car
Myvi club pledges to support orphaned sisters
We were not racing, claim Myvi club members
Najib’s brother Nazir explains his views on controversy over 1MDB issue
I was stupid, says ex-street racer
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)