X Close


Saturday September 29, 2007

Five nabbed - Woman released, four remanded for seven days


Four detained for Nurin's murder 

PETALING JAYA: Five people including a woman were arrested yesterday in connection with the murder of eight-year-old Nurin Jazlin Jaziman. 

The woman, however, was released several hours after her statement was recorded. 

The men were remanded for seven days by a magistrate’s court here to facilitate police investigations. One of them is the woman’s husband, a tailor shop owner. 

A special task force comprising officers from Bukit Aman assisted by their counterparts from Petaling Jaya and Selangor state police raided a shoplot in Section 7, Shah Alam, at 11.30pm on Thursday and nabbed the five.  

On-going probe: Two of the suspects being led away after police conducted investigations at their house in Kampung Kuantan, Klang, on Friday.
The five are aged between 27 and 35. 

CID director Commissioner Datuk Christopher Wan Soo Kee said the five were detained to assist police in their investigations into the murder of Nurin Jazlin. 

“We seized two cars and five cellular phones from the suspects,” he said, adding that the arrests were made possible thanks to information from the public. 

At 9.20am yesterday, the suspects were brought to Kuala Lumpur Hospital where a DNA test was done. 

DNA tests were carried out as police had found foreign particles believed to be strands of hair inside the sports bag in which Nurin’s sexually assaulted and naked body was found.  

It is learnt that one of the suspects, in his 30s, had previously been implicated in a couple of rape cases but was released due to the lack of evidence. 

The five were taken to the magistrate’s court where a horde of pressmen waited for their arrival at 11.50am yesterday. 

Some 20 minutes earlier, the woman suspect, believed to be pregnant, was seen being driven away from the court. 

At 12.35pm, the men were taken to Bukit Aman for further interrogation. 

Sources said one of the suspects is a car salesman.  

Nurin Jazlin went missing after she went to a night market by herself near her house in Section 1, Wangsa Maju, in Setapak, on Aug 20. 

Her body was found stuffed in a sports bag in Petaling Utama on Sept 17.  

Related Story:
Dead girl’s dad in the dark over arrests


Most Viewed