Home > Archives
Friday October 5, 2007
PENANG: There won’t be any public hearing for Penangites to give their views on the proposed RM25bil Penang Global City Centre (PGCC) project, said state Local Government Committee chairman Datuk Dr Teng Hock Nan.
He said this was because the Penang Municipal Council (MPPP) had already held a meeting with residents staying 200m from the proposed project.
“The council has taken measures in accordance with the by-laws of the Town and Country Planning Act.
“It has followed regulations by meeting residents who are directly affected by the project,” he told newsmen after opening the monthly Kwong Wah Yit Poh property pullout at Bayview Hotel here yesterday.
Dr Teng said he did not understand why the NGOs were still pushing for a public hearing when the council had already played its part in accordance with the law.
The two-hour meeting was held behind closed doors last Thursday and those present included MPPP president Datuk Zainal Rahim Seman, project developer Equine Capital Bhd executive chairman Datuk Patrick Lim and 16 representatives from the Residents Associa-tion of Jesselton.
“As the federal government has approved large scale projects including the Northern Corridor Economic Region, we anticipate there would be massive development and high demand for housing and commercial buildings,” he said.
Female Myvi driver arrested
Family of three killed on DUKE after collision with speeding car
Myvi club pledges to support orphaned sisters
We were not racing, claim Myvi club members
Najib’s brother Nazir explains his views on controversy over 1MDB issue
I was stupid, says ex-street racer
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)