Home > Archives
Saturday June 3, 2006
HANOI (AP) - Vietnam has abandoned the search for more than 250 missing fishermen who were caught in Typhoon Chanchu, state-controlled media reported Saturday.
The typhoon battered the South China Sea last month, killing 20 Vietnamese fishermen and leaving 256 others missing, the Thanh Nien (Young People) newspaper reported.
The Vietnamese fishermen tried to avoid the typhoon, but were caught in its path when it changed course.
"From Friday noon, all search-and-rescue operations were stopped after there are no hopes of finding any more survivors or bodies,'' said Tran Van Long, deputy director of the Maritime Search and Rescue Operations Center Region Two, based in central Danang city.
Long said search-and-rescue teams from China also ended their search Friday.
Chanchu also killed 37 people in the Philippines, 23 in China, two in Taiwan and one in Japan.
For Another perspective from Vietnam News, a partner of Asia News Network, click here
Latest from AP-Wire
Neighbours heard cries of children being beaten
RM1mil reward offer for information on Dr M's alleged misdeeds
Body of child found buried in kitchen
‘Wild’ party ends for 51 at popular mall
Money down the drain
Man killed after car smashes into toll booth barrier
Copyright © 1995-2015 Star Media Group Berhad (ROC 10894D)(Formerly known as Star Publications (Malaysia) Berhad)