Home > Archives
Saturday December 29, 2012
KUALA LUMPUR: The flood situation in the east coast states of Pahang, Kelantan and Terengganu has improved with the number of flood evacuees dropping to 21,013 yesterday afternoon as opposed to 22,093 earlier in the morning.
In KELANTAN, the number of flood evacuees left at relief centres state-wide dropped to 5,951 from 6,000 earlier in the day.
According to the state’s official portal, the victims comprised 3,318 people in Pasir Mas, 2,467 in Tumpat and 166 in Kota Baru.
The only flood relief centre in Pasir Puteh had also been closed after the remaining 18 victims were allowed to return home.
The water level at Sungai Golok in Rantau Panjang had also receded and returned to normal following the good weather condition today.
In TERENGGANU, the number of flood evacuees left at the relief centres also dropped to 14,880 from 16,413.
Out of the total number, 9,601 people from 1,214 families were still taking shelter at flood relief centres in Kemaman, followed by 4,026 people in Dungun, 953 people in Kuala Terengganu, 185 people in Setiu, 77 people in Hulu Terengganu and 22 people in Marang from 1,017, 220, 44, 18 and five families respectively.
So far, only Besut has closed all its relief centres, while 37 centres were still operational in Dungun, 24 in Kemaman, six in Kuala Terengganu, three in Setiu and one each in Marang and Hulu Terengganu.
In PAHANG, only 182 victims from 46 families were left at the flood relief centre in SK Galing as their three villages were still flooded.
According to a Pahang police contingent flood operation room spokesman, the evacuees were from Kampung Galing, Galing Besar and Taman Sri Kuantan.
Forty-four victims from nine families in Pekan had also been allowed to return home at 11am yesterday.
Only the Jalan Kuantan by-pass at KM18 remained closed to the public as it was submerged under 0.18-metre of flood water.
In PUTRAJAYA, the Health Ministry advised people in the flood-hit states to observe personal health and safety as well as adhere to instructions issued by the auhorities at all times.
Deputy Director-General of Health (Public Health) Datuk Dr Lokman Hakim Sulaiman also advised those suffering from heart ailments, hypertension and diabetes to ensure they had sufficient supply of medicine with them when at the relief centres.
“In case of shortage of medicine, please bring your medical card to the relief centre and show it to the medical assistant or officer because there is a possibility the clinic you frequented has also been flooded,” he said in a statement here yesterday.
Dr Lokman Hakim said pregnant women, especially those who were almost due, were also advised to move to areas nearer to the hospital.
At the same time, he said flood victims should also avoid consuming unboiled water during the monsoon season and should seek immediate medical treatment in case of high fever.
Children should also be prevented from playing in the floodwater as it could be a potential source of many water-borne diseases such as cholera, typhoid, hepatitis A and leptospirosis, he added. — Bernama
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)