Home > Archives
Published: Thursday November 1, 2012 MYT 3:58:00 PM
PARIS: Swiss Formula One outfit Sauber confirmed on Wednesday they had signed Force India's German driver Nico Hulkenberg for next season.
The 25-year-old - who started his F1 career with Williams in 2010 - had been widely expected to join them and replace McLaren-bound Sergio Perez.
"Nico Hulkenberg will be one of Sauber's two pilots for next season," the team said in a statement.
Hulkenberg, who is 12th in the driver standings with 49 points, said he couldn't wait to drive for the team.
"I am really eager to work with Sauber," he said.
"It is a solid team and very competitive. What is more it is a team in which young pilots often shine. I would like to take up that baton."
Force India team chief Vijay Mallya wished him well and labelled his departing driver as a 'star of the future'.
"At the end of 2010, we identified Nico as a star of the future and it has been rewarding to watch him develop his racing skills," said Mallya.
"Together with Paul Di Resta he has done a brilliant job for us, helping the team score more points than ever before and giving 100 percent commitment every weekend.
"It has been a pleasure to have Nico with us for the last couple of years and we would like to thank him for all his hard work and wish him well for the future."
Sauber are presently sixth in the constructors championship on 116 points going into this weekend's race, the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. -AFP
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)