Home > Archives
Monday July 25, 2011
Story and photo by CHRISTINA LOW email@example.com
AFTER operating for 12 years, the Kalumpang Resort and Training Centre in Kuala Kubu Baru was asked to close for a month after traces of Leptospirosis (rat urine disease) bacteria were found in its premises.
Officers from the district’s health department conducted checks at the centre last month and found the traces near the swimming pools and the open camping site.
The checks were conducted after the department received reports
of deaths involving two partici-pants who had previously visited the centre for team building activities.
Samples from mud pools and around the river streams were sent to the Public Health Laboratory for tests before confirming the centre to be deemed unsafe for visitors.
Upon receiving the report, several officers from the health department sealed the centre’s two swimming pools and a camping site on July 22 to deter the public from using the facilities.
The centre’s cafeteria also suffered the same fate after officers found that it had been sourcing its water supply naturally from a neighbouring hillside.
“Although no traces of bacteria were found at the outlet, using untreated water from the hillside is unsafe,” said Hulu Selangor disease outbreak chairman Nor Hisham Ahmad Dahlan who visited the site recently.
Both swimming pools were also said to have followed the same cost-saving measure of using unfiltered hillside water.
During the visit, the centre situated some 30 minutes away from Kuala Kubu Baru town centre had visitors participating in various outdoor activities - mainly team building - with some spotted swimming by Sungai Inki which flows around the resort area.
Besides providing outdoor activities, the centre also has 50-odd chalets, dormitories and a mini zoo on its six-acre land.
Nor Hisham said the closure of the facilities were based on advice from doctors from the health department.
“The centre definitely needs more time to clean up the area and closing it for one or just two weeks is not enough. That is why we are suggesting that the centre be closed for a month starting from Aug 1,” he said, adding that there would be less visitors during the fasting month.
The operators were also told to relocate several obstacle courses at the open camping site until the area was free of the bacteria.
“We are not sure what brought the Leptospirosis bacteria to the resort, it may be cleanliness or improper food disposal by the centre,” he said.
According to Nor Hisham, this was not the first time the resort was slapped with such a notice.
“Last year a similar incident took place at the resort and we shut down its pool as well, yet the centre did not learn from its mistake.
“Now we have to make sure that it is completely clean from the bacteria before it can begin operations again,” he said.
To make matters worse, Nor Hisham, who is also the Hulu Selangor Land and District Office officer, found that the centre had yet to convert its land status.
“The status of the land the resort is occupying is for agriculture and they need to apply for conversion to resort, otherwise, we will have to close the centre permanently as it is operating illegally,” he said after advising the owners to submit their application soon.
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)