Home > Archives
Friday December 11, 2009
By NG WEI LOON
YOUNGSTER Ng Kok Soon is setting his sights for a perfect finish at the SportExcel junior golf open grand finals and international meet scheduled at the Rahman Putra Golf Club from Dec 22 to 24.
The 18-year-old said he was aiming to perform to his true potential for the remaining legs before moving on to the grand finals.
In his final season competing in the SportExcel circuit, the SMK Batu 8, Puchong Form Six student emerged as the boys’ Under-18 overall champion in the Elite-Premier competition decided over five legs earlier.
Despite achieving his best run in series, the 18-year-old playing under the Seri Selangor Golf Club banner settled for third spot in his age group behind eventual winner Gavin Kyle Green of Monterez and runner-up Shih Seung Hyun from Aman Golf School in the Premier-Elite grand finals at Monterez Golf and Country Club recently.
Green carded 71 while Shih and Ng returned with identical scores of one-over on the par-71 course.
However, Ng lost to Shih on countback in the tussle for second spot.
After claiming back-to-back victorious in the fourth and fifth legs of the Premier-Elite circuit, Ng admitted that it was disappointing to finish third in the grand finals. “Although I had a poor start, I bounced back and came in second in the following two legs of the Premier-Elite. I did not study the course well and struggled at Monterez. I had a poor first nine holes scoring 37 before registering a more respectable 35 in the final nine holes,” said Ng, who has been competing in the SportExcel competition since he was 12.
Meanwhile, the tussle for the top position in the combined Under-12 section between Aaerishna Shahshty Balakrishnan of Royal Johor and Galven Kendall Green from Monterez went down to the wire.
Both shot 71 over a round of 18 holes to force the sudden-death playoff. In the decider, the 10-year-old Aaerishna took two attempts before prevailing over Green in the duel at the par-four 18th hole.
Following a par each in the first run, Aaerishna repeated the same effort for a stroke advantage ahead of Green to seal the win.
A total 40 junior golfers featured in five categories at the recent Elite-Premier grand finals.
- Under-Eight: 1. Imran Muqri Iwan Harman (Rahman Putra) 490 points; 2. Victor Ng Yu Kai (Bukit Jalil) 480 points; 3. Tengku Muhammad Muzaffar (Kidz @ Golf) 416 points
- Under-12: 1. Amir Nazrin Jailani (Seri Selangor) 430 points; 2. Ervin Chang (Bukit Jalil) 412 points; 3. Danial Durisic (Rahman Putra) 392 points
- Under-15: 1. Paul San Weng Yau (Rahman Putra) 406 points; 2. Chan Tuck Soon (Bukit Jalil) 380 points; 3. Mohammad Asyraaf Rosli (MSN Selangor) 345 points
- Under-18: 1. Ng Kok Soon (Seri Selangor) 431 points; 2. Muhammad Al-Warith Damian (Seri Selangor) 324 points; 3. Tan Wei Chean (Seri Selangor) 314 points
- Under-18: 1. Nur Durriyah Damian (Kundang Lakes) 470 points; 2. Genevieve Ling I-Rynn (Tentera Udara) 375 points; 3. Yong Mei Khuan (Saujana) 347 points
- Under-Eight: 1. Victor Ng Yu Kai (Bukit Jalil) 43; 2. Imran Muqri Iwan Harman (Monterez) 45; 3. Adam Arif Madzri (Perkhimatan Awam) 48
- Under-12: 1. Aaerishna Shahshty Balakrishnan (Royal Johor) 71 (sudden-death); 2. Galven Kendall Green (Monterez) 71; 3. Amir Nazrin Jailani (Seri Selangor) 76 (ocb)
- Under-15: 1. Mohd Asyraaf Rosli (MSN Selangor) 75 (sudden-death); 2. Chan Tuck Soon (Bukit Jalil) 75; 3. Paul San Weng Yau (Rahman Putra) 77
- Under-18: 1. Gavin Kyle Green (Monterez) 71; 2. Shih Seung Hyun (Aman Golf School) 72 (ocb); 3. Ng Kok Soon (Seri Selangor) 72
- Under-18: 1. Nur Durriyah Damian (Kundang Lakes) 74; 2. Genevieve Ling I-Rynn (Tentera Udara) 77; 3. Ng Lee Chen (Rahman Putra) 78
Copyright © 1995-2013 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)