Home > Archives
Published: Saturday January 5, 2013 MYT 8:32:00 AM
BELGRADE: The Serbia Open in Belgrade, which was founded and owned by the family of world number one Novak Djokovic, has been axed from the 2013 ATP schedule.
The ATP World Tour 250-class claycourt tournament, which first took place in 2009, was scheduled for April 20-May 5.
But the organisers, the Family Sport company, said in a statement that they "unfortunately will not be able to run the Belgrade tournament".
"We have decided to cease the tournament's operations from 2013," the statement on the company's website said, without elaborating on possible reasons for the decision.
Last year, Italy's Andreas Seppi won the title after Djokovic, the 2011 champion opted against playing, drastically reducing the event's crowd-pulling potential. - AFP
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)