Home > Archives
Published: Monday December 31, 2012 MYT 6:01:00 PMUpdated: Monday December 31, 2012 MYT 10:17:29 PM
KUALA LUMPUR: The second wave of floods which hit Terengganu and Pahang on Monday has forced more than 900 people to be evacuated.
In TERENGGANU, 800 people had been evacuated by 6pm when floods hit several areas in the Kemaman, Hulu Terengganu and Dungun districts due to high tide and heavy rain since morning.
So far, five relief centres have been opened in Hulu Terenganu to accommodate 599 people, while 162 people are at two relief centres in Kemaman and the remaining 39 people, at a flood relief centre in Dungun, according to the state's flood portal.
Meanwhile, the State Drainage and Irrigation Department (DID) said the water
level at several main rivers in Terengganu was reported to be rising following heavy rain.
As such, the department advised residents staying along the rivers to exercise caution.
In PAHANG, 152 people have been evacuated to three flood relief centres in Kuantan following incessant rain from Sunday night.
According to the National Security Council (NSC) portal, 98 people from Kampung Galing, Galing Besar and Taman Sri Kuantan were being accommodated at the relief centre at Sekolah Kebangsaan (SK) Galing.
Nine people from Kampung Sungai Ular had been evacuated to SK Sungai Ular and 45 people from Kampung Seberang Balok had been sent to the Balok community hall, it said.
It also said that a stretch of Jalan Bukit Penggorak-Cherating at Km24 and the Jalan Kuantan-Bypass (after the Gebeng Fire and Rescue Station) at Km18 were closed due to the floods.
In KELANTAN, heavy rain since Sunday night has resulted in the water level of several main rivers in the state to rise, but still at the alert level.
According to the state government's official portal, all the 25 victims from five families at the flood relief centre at SK Pengkalan Kubur 2, Tumpat, have been allowed to go home. - Bernama
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)