Home > Archives
Published: Monday December 3, 2012 MYT 7:51:00 AMUpdated: Monday December 3, 2012 MYT 8:41:21 AM
YORK, United Kingdom: Northern Irishman Mark Allen could be banned from snooker for three months after his "cheating" row with Hong Kong star Marco Fu overshadowed the UK Championships on Sunday.
Both men were due to face each other in the first round later in the day, but the 26-year-old Allen, the world number eight, is in trouble after repeating allegations he first made during the world championships in Sheffield in April.
Following his first-round defeat to China's Cao Yupeng at the world event, Allen accused his conqueror of playing a banned push shot.
He also named Fu as a player he believed to have broken the rules in the past.
Fu, 34, has denied all allegations of cheating.
A World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association spokesman said of Allen's comments made on November 28: "His comments have been looked at and he has been asked to explain what he said."
Allen was handed a six-month suspended sentence for his remarks about Cao.
"It was unfair of me to label all Chinese players as
cheats but dishonesty in snooker is something that needs to be stamped out," Allen told the BBC last week.
"I'd never said anything about Marco as a person. Marco as a person is one of the nicest people you'd ever meet.
"Obviously people make mistakes on the table. But aside from that, Marco is a great snooker player."
Cao on Sunday became the third Chinese player to make a first-round exit from the UK Championship.
Cao lost 6-1 to Mark Davis and joins Liang Wenbo and former UK champion Ding Junhui as first-round losers from China.
World number one Judd Trump saw his hopes of defending the title shattered by a first-round exit at the hands of Mark Joyce, losing 6-5. - AFP
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)