X Close

Archives

Published: Sunday November 18, 2012 MYT 11:52:00 AM

Froch makes short work of Mack to retain IBF title

NOTTINGHAM, United Kingdom: Carl Froch made a successful first defence of his International Boxing Federation (IBF) super-middleweight title with a third round knockout of Yusaf Mack in Nottingham, central England, on Saturday.

The British champion is now expected to move on to a rematch with Canada-based Romanian Lucian Bute - whom he overpowered in five rounds to win the IBF belt in May - after another impressive demolition job in his home city.

Froch, 35, improved his professional record to 30 wins - 22 by stoppage - with two defeats on points by Mikkel Kessler, of Denmark, and Mack's fellow American Andre Ward.

Saturday's bout saw Mack suffer his fifth stoppage defeat in 38 contests.

It was a one sided contest that Froch, who is in his third stint as a world champion, looked destined to win on a stoppage right from the early moments.

The 32-year-old Mack could not live with Froch, who floored him in the first round and from then an early finish always seemed inevitable.

"I trained for 12 weeks to fight whoever and Yusaf Mack did not really have much of a chance," Froch said of his rapid night's work.

"When I am in there on fire like I was tonight I think I am unbeatable, I really do.

"I think I am a level above Mack but anyone can give you a fight if you are not on your 'A' game and I made sure every time I step through that rope I turn up fully prepared."

Mack stepped down a division to take on Froch and had to strip naked to make the weight limit on Friday.

The American, fighting outside of his homeland for the first time, found himself similarly exposed in the ring and seemed startled in the first round when confronted with a furious Froch onslaught.

Froch sent Mack sprawling from a left to the jaw and Mack, stopped by fellow American Tavoris Cloud in a shot at the world light-heavyweight title last year, looked in danger of being beaten inside the first round as Froch unloaded two successive rights.

The challenger was grateful to hear the belland Froch was not as dangerous in the second round until he landed a heavy right towards the end that shook Mack.

Froch, the former World Boxing Council (WBC) champion, piled on the pressure from early in the third round and Mack had no answer to the Englishman's power.

The champion winded Mack with a right to the body before following up with a left hook to the temple that left Mack bent over on his knees.

Mack, who appeared to be in agony from the body shot, failed to move as referee Phil Edwards counted him out with 30 seconds of the third round left.

Afterwards Eddie Hearn, Froch's promoter, spoke of a rematch with Bute, possibly in Montreal on March 30.

Froch also hopes to be granted a rematch with Ward, the WBC and WBA (World Boxing Association) champion, next year in what would be a world title unification clash. -AFP

advertisement

  1. I had no idea it was Karpal, says lorry driver
  2. Penang to give Karpal state-level funeral
  3. Karpal Singh: Khairy tells Perkasa’s Zulkifli to ‘shut up’ over insensitive tweets
  4. Karpal Singh: Lorry driver in crash tested positive for ganja
  5. Karpal Singh: Photo Gallery
  6. Police: Karpal died on the spot from impact of crash
  7. Karpal dies: Highly emotional family members arrive at Kampar hospital mortuary
  8. Najib joins other shocked Malaysians in paying Twitter tribute to Karpal Singh
  9. Karpal Singh dies in car accident
  10. Four more sea turtles found killed

advertisement

advertisement