Home > Archives
Thursday February 19, 2009
By LIM CHIA YING
THE pedestrian bridge standing in the way of the massive RM315mil Subang-Kelana link project in Jalan Kewajipan Subang Jaya has been dismantled to make way for it.
A court on Feb 6 this year had thrown out an injunction filed by the bridge’s concessionaire that had forced works on the link to subsequently to be stopped since February last year.
The case was taken to court after the bridge became a subject of contention between the Subang Jaya Municipal Council (MPSJ) and the bridge’s concessionaire.
The dispute arose when both parties could not come to a settlement on the relocation of the bridge.
The link’s main contractor Ahmad Zaki Resources Berhad (AZRB) then intervened
in the injunction to get it lifted so that the company could resume the 5% of remaining works near the 3K Complex where the bridge stands.
Bakri Ishak, the executive director of Ahmad Zaki Sdn Bhd (AZSB), the construction arm of the group, was quoted as saying then that the company hoped the bridge issue could be resolved at the Feb 6 hearing, after several other fruitless previous hearings.
“Once this injunction is lifted, we can
concentrate on completing the remaining works for the benefit of the general public
and road users. The delay in project delivery, resulting from this injunction, has affected
our company’s credibility even though the cause was beyond our control,” Bakri had said.
Many motorists who drive along the stretch had also complained of congestion and inconvenience due to the bridge.
Works on the link, a project of the Works Ministry, began in January 2005 despite objections from residents during the development stage in 2004.
The authorities and politicians had hailed the project as a solution to the daily traffic chaos in Subang Jaya, but the residents were not convinced, claiming that the link would only bring in more traffic woes into an already congested USJ. The outcome is now left to be seen.
AZRB, when contacted, said it had obtained a consent order from the courts whereby the bridge concessionaire had agreed to the demolition the pedestrian bridge structure and two billboards.
Works have since restarted on Feb 14, following a written notice being served to the bridge concessionaire.
“Our launching of box girders will resume from early March onwards once all the demolition works are cleared and the gantry cranes are serviced and in good condition. The expected completion of the link is by the end of July this year,” Bakri said in an email.
The original scheduled completion date was initially fixed for December last year.
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)