Home > Archives
Monday October 3, 2005
KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi has advised the Indonesian authorities to investigate the latest Bali bombings thoroughly to find out who the perpetrators were.
Expressing his condolences to the families of the dead and injured, the Prime Minister said he was deeply saddened by the violence in the tourist resort island.
“This bombing was perpetrated by human beings and was not an earthquake.
“I hope the Indonesian authorities will investigate and get the perpetrators,” he said after launching the People’s Progressive Party’s 52nd general assembly at the Putra World Trade Centre here.
Abdullah, who is also Internal Security Minister, said the Government so far has not issued an advisory warning Malaysians against visiting Bali.
Bombs exploded in three packed tourist restaurants in Jimbaran beach and Kuta town at 8pm on Saturday night, killing 26 people and injuring over 100.
In Kota Kinabalu, Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak said Malaysia remained safe from terror attacks as security forces were on top of the situation.
The Deputy Prime Minister said although Saturday’s bomb blasts in Bali might cause a resurgence of security fears in the region, Malaysia’s security remained well under control.
“God willing, our security forces will ensure that no terrorist cells can operate in this country,” Najib said after meeting Sabah Felcra participants here yesterday. On concerns that Malaysia’s border areas, particularly along Sabah’s east coast, could become a breeding ground for terrorist groups, he said such fears were borne out of speculation.
“We shouldn’t speculate too much, otherwise it will give rise to many negative interpretations,” added Najib, who is also the Defence Minister.
He said Malaysia remained ever prepared to extend any assistance to the Indonesian authorities.
He added that the level of co-operation between both countries in dealing with terrorism was good.
Copyright © 1995-2014 Star Publications (M) Bhd (Co No 10894-D)