KANGAR: Security still remains a big concern at the Sukma Games Village although the organisers have taken measures to make it safer.
As promised by Mentri Besar Azlan Man, there is more police presence at the venues and Games Village but the athletes feel more can be done.
Last year’s Malaysia Games (Sukma), which was held in Kuala Lumpur, was marred by an alleged rape involving three Federal Territories handball players.
They were charged with raping the team’s chaperone in a room in Enggang Block at the Second College of Universiti Putra Malaysia in Serdang on July 4. The case is still pending.
Lawn bowler Fatin Suhana, who is competing in her fourth Sukma, said that police presence at the entrance to her residential block is very assuring.
“I have never seen the police guarding residential blocks in the past. It’s a great move by the organisers,” said the 20-year-old.
“If there’s visible patrolling around our blocks by the police or Rela it would be perfect.”
Federal Territories karate exponent M. Shamala echoed Fatin’s sentiments but feels there is room for improvement.
“The police presence is good but they are only stationed at selected locations. I think police or Rela presence at the entrance of all blocks would be better,” said the 20-year-old.
“Some parts of the blocks are quite dark at night. Better lighting would make it safer as people won’t dare lurk in the shadows.”
Strangely, despite the alleged rape making the headlines last year, both these athletes were not aware of it, going to show that the officials have failed to educate the athletes.