Kelantan may not be able to field their new signing from Ghana, Prince Tagoe (left), this season. To his left is new chief coach George Boateng and Iraqi international Hussein Alaa Hussein. - SAZUKI EMBONG/ The Star
PETALING JAYA: The Red Warriors may not be able to field their new signing from Ghana, Prince Tagoe, this season.
Kelantan FA (Kafa) team manager Azman Ibrahim said they have not received the player’s International Transfer Certificate (ITC) due to a technical hitch with his previous team, Club Africain in Tunisia.
“We are trying to sort out his ITC but the matter has been referred to FIFA due to contractual problems with his previous club. We do not know how long it will take to be resolved. We will decide soon on the next course of action,” said Azman from Kota Baru on Thursday.
Kafa had signed the 26-year-old Ghana international as replacement for Lebanese striker Mohd Ghadfar Mohamed during the second transfer window last month.
The east coast giants have also signed Iraqi international Hussein Alaa Hussein to shore up the defence, replacing Nigerian Obinne Nwaneri.
Former Dutch international George Boateng is the new head coach, replacing Englishman Steve Darby, who was released after Kelantan’s 4-2 defeat against Sime Darby FC last month.
Despite an exodus of players last season, the east coast side are in the FA Cup semi-finals. They drew the first leg 3-3 with Premier League side Felda United in Kota Baru on Tuesday. The return leg is scheduled for May 30 at the Shah Alam Stadium.
Kelantan have lost the core of the team who won the treble – Super League, FA and Malaysia Cup – last season. They are currently seventh in the Super League with 19 points. They are also out of the AFC Cup competition after making an early exit in the group stages last month.