Saturday, 22 March 2014 | MYT 11:19 PM

Terengganu lose but still top Super League

Pahang's Dickson Nwakaeme (left) and Matias Conti celebrate a goal in their Super League match against Sarawak on March 22, 2014. Pahang won 3-1.

Pahang's Dickson Nwakaeme (left) and Matias Conti celebrate a goal in their Super League match against Sarawak on March 22, 2014. Pahang won 3-1.

PETALING JAYA: On a topsy-turvy night of football, table-toppers Terengganu’s poor away form continued when they lost 3-2 to 10-man Sime Darby FC in a Super League match at the Selayang Stadium.

The Turtles went into the match aiming to record their first away win of the season but never had a chance to move into gear as Sime Darby’s Nazrul Kamaruzaman scored for the home team as early as the seventh minute.

Terengganu came back into the match when skipper Ismail Faruqi equalised in the 23rd minute but it was a short-lived joy.

Sime Darby went ahead from Fazrul Hazli Kadri’s goal in the 44th minute and Mohd Farid Ramli then made it 3-1 from the penalty spot in the 50th minute.

Mohd Norfarhan Mohd reduced the deficit for Terengganu in the 72nd minute but the fightback came a little too late.

The east coast side could have snatched a point if striker Mamadou Barry did not miss a penalty in the 66th minute.

Sime Darby were reduced to 10 men after William Mensah of Ghana was sent off in the 65th minute.

The only consolation for Terengganu was that they remained at the top of the league on better goal difference despite the defeat. But it’s crowded at the top as Terengganu, Pahang, Kelantan and Selangor all have 13 points each.

Terengganu and Selangor, however, have one match in hand having played only seven times.

In Kuantan, Pahang defeated Sarawak 3-1 at the Darul Makmur Stadium.

The Pahang goals came from an own goal from Ronny Harun in the 30th minute followed by strikes from Jamaican Damion Stewart and Hafiz Kamal in the 60th and 72nd minutes respectively. Rashid Aya scored for Sarawak in the 90th minute.

In Shah Alam, unlucky Kelantan had to blame themselves after going down 1-0 to Selangor.

The Red Warriors had a chance to take the lead but Liberian striker Francis Doe’s spot kick in the 20th minute was saved by goalkeeper Mohd Farizal Marlias.

But Selangor’s Paulo Rangel made no such mistake when he hit the winner from a penalty two minutes later.

Meanwhile, champions Lions XII came from behind to edge PKNS FC 2-1 at the Jalan Besar Stadium in Singapore.

The visitors opened account through Mohd Nazmi Faiz in the 31st minute before the Singaporeans drew level through Zulfahmi Ariffin in the 43rd minute. Faris Ramli netted the winner for the Lions in the 60th minute.

Tags / Keywords: football , Super League , Ismail Faruqi , Fazrul Hazli Kadri , Mohd Farid Ramli , Paulo Rangel


Most Viewed

Powered by