PETALING JAYA: Spanish star Cesc Fabregas quashed rumours that he is leaving Barcelona during a press conference on Thursday.
This is a massive blow to Manchester United who have been actively chasing his signature all summer.
“I am not leaving Barcelona. This is the biggest club in the world after Real Madrid, and I am enjoying my time there,” said Fabregas who joined the Catalan giants in 2011.
“I feel hurt when reporters keep asking me if I’m leaving Barca. I’m really having a good time here.”
The former Arsenal midfielder made 32 league appearances for Barcelona last season, scoring 11 goals and winning the La Liga title.
But with Brazilian superstar Neymar joining the squad last month, Fabregas is no longer guaranteed a place in the starting eleven and was subject to a transfer back to England, with United showing the most interest.
Fabregas however has pledged to stay and fight for his place in the team after speaking with new Barcelona head coach Gerardo Martino.
“The coach will decide on where Neymar and I will play. With Neymar in the team, I will have to work harder to earn my place in the first eleven,” said Fabregas.
“Besides, there are dedicated players here in the team such as Xavi and (Lionel) Messi. They are amazing talents and give a hundred percent during training.”
The midfielder also added that there is no plans of him retiring just yet, when asked if he would follow in Dani Guiza’s footsteps, in playing for a Malaysian side.
Former Spanish striekr Guiza, 32, played for Johor Darul Takzim on a six-months loan in the Malaysia Super League.
“I’m only 26 now and I have no plans of retiring just yet,” said Fabregas.
“When Dani came to Malaysia to play, I didn’t even know where he went to. For me I’m still young and able to play for the squad and retirement have never crossed my mind.”