A dejected Lee Chong Wei after losing to Chen Long of China in the final of the badminton World Championships in Denmark on Sunday. - BERNAMA
COPENHAGEN: World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei has decided to cut down on his number of tournaments next year.
The 31-year-old Chong Wei made the decision after his eighth attempt of winning the world title came to nought again on Sunday. He was beaten 19-21, 19-21 by Chen Long of China in the men’s singles final of the World Championships at the Bellarup Super Arena.
Chong Wei was disappointed that he could not contain an aggressive Chen Long, and he admitted that “age is catching up with him”.
A tenacious Chen Long stepped on the gas to take a huge lead in the first game before Chong Wei fought his way back – only to be disappointed at the end.
It went the similar fashion in the second game, too.
“I could not feel anything after the defeat. I felt numb after losing in my third final. I made too many simple mistakes,” said Chong Wei, who had skipped last month’s Commonwealth Games in Glasgow after picking up an inner thigh injury in June.
“I have gone through a hectic schedule year after year. It is time to slow down. I will go for quality over quantity from next year onwards.
“It is an important year (2015). The 2016 Olympic Games qualifying period will start (in May) and I want to be selective.”
Asked whether he would be able to recover from his third heartbreak in a row at the World Championships, Chong Wei said: “I will rise again. I have another chance to get it right in the World Championships in Indonesia next year.”
Chong Wei will now set his sights on the Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea, from Sept 19-Oct 4.
“It will be tough to get out of this demoralising defeat but I will have to forget and move forward. I hope all my fans will continue to support me – until I retire. Until then, I will continue to give my best,” he added.