Wednesday, 13 August 2014 | MYT 10:10 PM
Rashid reports back but trouble still brewing
Rashid Sidek (right) having a word with fellow singles coaches Tey Seu Bock (middle) and Hendrawan on Wednesday
KUALA LUMPUR: National singles chief coach Rashid Sidek reported for work on Wednesday but his trouble with the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) is far from over.
The coach, who has served the national team for more than a decade, will now have to give his reply to a show cause letter served to him by the national body for going public on his decision to withdraw as project leader of the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.
The letter was served before the Games in July and he has two more weeks to reply.
Rashid’s selection of Liew Daren for the Glasgow Games came under fire upon the team’s return last week.
In Glasgow, his charges – Chong Wei Feng and Daren – failed to go past the quarter-finals stage.
Rashid said that he remains focused with his job – at least until his contract ends in December.
“I have not decided to quit. I am still and will continue as the national singles chief coach. I am a professional. I have no intention of going against anyone,” said Rashid.
When asked what made him stay on despite the strained relationship with the president, he replied: “There are many issues that have not been resolved.
“Youth and Sports Minister Khairy (Jamaluddin) has also spoken to me yesterday (Tuesday). He asked me to be patient and calm about this matter. BAM’s deputy president Datuk Norza (Zakaria) have also spoken to me.
“For now, I am committed to train the players for the World Championships and Asian Games. That is my focus.”
Last year, Rashid quit because he was not pleased with the changes made by the BAM but was coaxed to stay on by Khairy.