Yangon: Myanmar is imposing new curfews and deploying fresh troops to Rakhine state, the government confirmed after the UN expressed alarm at reports of a military build-up in the region where authorities are accused of widespread rights abuses.
News that an army battalion was flown into Rakhine this week to boost security was met with criticism from UN special rapporteur Yanghee Lee on Friday, who warned it was “cause for major concern”.
Rakhine has been gripped by violence since October last year when Rohingya militants attacked police posts, sparking a months-long bloody military crackdown.
The army campaign sent more than 70,000 Rohingya villagers fleeing across the border to Bangladesh, carrying with them stories of systematic rape, murder and arson at the hands of soldiers.
The Rohinyga are a stateless group long maligned by Mynamar’s Buddhist majority and the UN believes the army’s crackdown may amount to ethnic cleansing – a charge the government vehemently denies.
State media said yesterday that “clearance operations are being heightened” in Rakhine’s May Yu mountain range, an area where the government says Rohingya militants remain active.
The army used the same language to describe counter-insurgency sweeps in October.
“Plans are under way to rein-force security forces and military forces by deployment of additional troops,” the state-run Global New Light of Myanmar said, adding that curfews would be imposed in “necessary areas”.
The goal was to “prevent extremist terrorists from taking a stronghold in the May Yu mountain range,” the state mouthpiece said.
The military build-up comes after a spike in violence in recent months, with dozens of villagers murdered and abducted by masked assassins.
The government blames the killings on the insurgent Arakan Rohingya Salvation Army, which claimed the raids on police posts last October.
The group has denied killing civilians in statements issued through an unverified Twitter account. — AFP