THE licensee of a restaurant that was linked to five cases of food poisoning was fined S$20,000 (RM51,781) for selling food that was unfit for consumption.
BCH Hotel Investment, the licensee of Man Fu Yuan Restaurant, pleaded guilty last week to five charges of providing food at five events at Hotel InterContinental, which resulted in more than 400 guests falling ill.
The offences occurred between Dec 26 and Dec 30, 2012.
The court heard numerous individuals had developed symptoms of fever, vomiting, diarrhoea and nausea after attending a wedding banquet dinner at the Middle Road hotel on Dec 26 last year. There were also other reports of individuals developing similar symptoms after attending functions at the hotel.
Investigations revealed that the outbreak was linked to contaminated food, plates and glasses provided by Man Fu Yuan Restaurant. — The Straits Times / Asia News Network