GEORGE TOWN: The task force investigating money game scheme JJPTR raided eight premises in Penang and recorded statements from 15 workers and four investors.
The team involved more than 70 officers from Bukit Aman’s Anti-Money Laundering squad, Commercial Crime Investigation Department (CCID), Bank Negara, the Companies Commission of Malaysia, Inland Revenue Department and National Revenue Recovery Enforcement Team.
In the raid between noon and 5pm yesterday, documents and computers were carted away from the premises to assist in investigations.
The seizure included documents and items in six bags and a box, and mock cheque which were taken by the raiding party from the main office in Perak Road.
“The raids were conducted based on six police reports lodged against the company,” a source said.
The raid at the main office lasted four hours.
Other than the main office in Perak Road, JJPTR also has branch offices in Bayan Baru, Bandar Baru Air Itam, Tanjung Tokong, Raja Uda, Sungai Dua, Chai Leng Park and Taman Sri Rambai.
Bukit Aman CCID director Comm Datuk Acryl Sani Abdullah Sani said five bank accounts belonging to JJPTR have been frozen.
“The office will not be sealed,” he said before leaving the Perak Road main office.
JJPTR grabbed the headlines a few weeks ago when JJPTR founder Johnson Lee claimed that the company lost US$400mil (RM1.738bil) due to a purported “hacking job”.
Investors panicked when the 20% monthly interest they were promised was not deposited into their accounts in April.
On Wednesday, Lee appeared at the Kg Kasipillay community centre in Jalan Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur to return the capital of some 100 JJPTR investors with disabilities.
According to an employee from JJPTR, the investors were refunded between US$25 (RM108) and US$4,000 (RM17,388).
Lee was questioned on the amount that was refunded and when the other investors could expect their money back.
“I am not sure. There are too many investors on the list. I will leave it to my finance department.
“As I’m sure you know, I am too busy with other matters,” he said before he was ushered away in a Mercedes Benz.
Meanwhile, investors interviewed at the company’s main office yesterday are not expecting to get their capital back, now that the authorities have raided the company’s offices in Penang.
They prefer to keep a low profile, fearing that the authorities would also go after them.
A physically disabled woman who came at 12.30pm with the expectation of getting a refund got a shock when she saw policemen entering the office which is located on the first floor of a commercial building.
“My friend told me that Johnson Lee was giving priority refunds to disabled investors, so I came here to get my money back, but looking at the situation now, I don’t think I can get even a sen back,” she said.
The woman, who is in her 50s, said she invested RM4,700 in the scheme after her friend introduced it to her during Chinese New Year, and received interest for three months before it collapsed.
Asked if she would lodge a police report against the company, she said she wouldn’t as she did not want to get herself in trouble.
“I will just consider this as ‘donating’ money to the company,” she said.
The woman was among 20 investors who came to the office between noon and 4pm yesterday. Most of them left immediately after learning that policemen and other authorities were there.
An elderly investor, who did not want to be identified, appeared upset at not being able to get his money back.
“What to do? The police came and took action against the company. Investments have risks.
“We can only accept this as fate,” said the man in his 70s who invested RM4,700 last month.
Two other men, both in their 40s, shared the opinion that investments carried risks and that they were just unlucky.