KUALA LUMPUR: The prosecution's application to transfer a case involving Sri Lanka's High Commissioner from the Sepang Sessions Court to Kuala Lumpur was dismissed by the High Court here Thursday.
The application was reportedly made because High Commissioner Ibrahim Sahib Ansar, one of the prosecution witnesses, feared for his safety if he had to testify in Sepang.
Three men have been charged with rioting and causing injury to Ibrahim.
Justice Nordin Hassan rejected the application on the grounds that there was no valid reason to grant the request.
"Even if the court allows the application, the crowd can still come here," he said.
"If he (Ibrahim) is not happy, he can always lodge a complaint with the enforcement unit or the police or the judge at the Sepang Sessions Court," he added.
A. Kalaimughilan, 26, V. Balamurugan, 33, and V. Ragunathan, 38, claimed trial at the Sepang court last year to the alleged incident at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport on Sept 4, 2016.
In his affidavit, Ibrahim said he was still traumatised by the attack.
On Friday, Deputy Public Prosecutor Suhaimi Ibrahim had argued that the envoy was concerned for his safety if he had to attend the trial.
DPP Suhaimi said Ibrahim should be given a chance to appear and give evidence without fearing for his safety. Ibrahim had affirmed an affidavit to support the application.
Counsel M. Manoharan, who acted for the accused, rebutted that it would set a dangerous precedent if the court were to allow the application.
He argued that the Sepang court, like any other Malaysian court, was a secure place to hear the trial, and no evidence was adduced by the prosecution to imply otherwise.
It was reported that Ibrahim was assaulted after sending off Sri Lankan Primary Industries Minister Daya Gamage, who was in Malaysia for the International Conference of Asian Political Parties.