Court allows second autopsy on body of Klang lock-up detainee - Nation | The Star Online
X Close

ADVERTISEMENT

Court allows second autopsy on body of Klang lock-up detainee


KLANG: A second post-mortem has been granted for the remains of S. Balamurugan, who was found dead in a police lock-up early this month.

The procedure will take place at the Hospital Kuala Lumpur on Saturday morning, Balamurugan's family lawyer N. Surendran said Friday.

He said the order for the second autopsy was received on Wednesday after the application was filed in court earlier this week.

"The family will meet with the pathologist tomorrow evening for the findings of the second post-mortem.

"So far, the family has arranged for the funeral on Sunday," he said when met at the family home in Solok Bukit Mertajam here.

Surendran said the second autopsy was called following the family's dissatisfaction over the first one, which was conducted at the Hospital Tengku Ampuan Rahimah here.

"It was clearly stated by ... the first pathologist that there were assault marks on the body.

"So, there has to be an explanation on what happened and that was why a second post-mortem was called to identify the real cause of death," he said.

Balamurugan's younger brother Balraj, 33, said the family hoped that the second autopsy would shed light on how his brother died in police custody.

Balamurugan, 44, was arrested on Feb 6 and brought to court for a remand order the following day.

The magistrate rejected the remand order but police did not release him.

Police personnel found him dead in the early hours on Feb 8.

ADVERTISEMENT