BENTONG: Though the search for missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean has been suspended, experts are going back to the drawing board to locate the plane's wreckage, says Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai.
"Although we have suspended the search, Malaysia, China and Australia will continue to work together in the search for MH370.
"We suspended the search so that we can re-look into the deep sea water search data and the drift pattern of the debris.
"We want to re-look whatever info that we can gather, including satellite data," he told reporters at a press conference after attending a road safety campaign at the Genting Sempah rest and recreation stop Thursday.
The fruitless two-year search meant that the wreckage is, in fact, not located in the 120 sq km search area which had been determined by experts based on satellite communications data.
"The 120 sq km search has proven that the wreckage is not in this area. So before we search other areas, we will move in only when we are confident of the plane's exact location.
"At the moment, we do not have the data to show us its exact location. What the expert team gave us is just the probable area. We can't make a decision based only on that," he said.
Liow assured the public that the Australian Transport Safety Bureau would continue to analyse available data, including drift patterns and debris that has been found so far.