PETALING JAYA: The “aircraft debris” found along the shore in Besut does not belong to MH370, says Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai (pic).
Liow said that an assessment of the debris found that it did not match that of a Boeing 777, thus confirming that it was not from MH370.
The assessment was conducted by a team comprising personnel from the Department of Civil Aviation (DCA), the Transport Ministry and Malaysia Airlines (MAS).
The objects, one measuring about 2m and another about 0.5m were found 500m apart from each other on Thursday, on the shore near Kampung Benting Lintang in Besut.
Liow also thanked the relevant authorities for facilitating the identification process.
“We remain committed to the ongoing search for MH370, and will continue to keep the next-of-kin and public updated on any developments,” he said in a statement on Friday.
Just last week, a large piece of curved metal washed ashore in Nakhon Si Thammarat province off the coast of southern Thailand, although it was confirmed not to be from MH370.
Flight MH370 with 239 people on board disappeared en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing on March 8, 2014. It is believed to have ended in the southern Indian Ocean.
A piece of the plane washed up on the French island of Reunion in July 2015 but no further trace of the plane has been found.