PETALING JAYA: PKR Youth chief Nik Nazmi Nik Ahmad has questioned PAS on the Islamic party’s decision to field a candidate for mentri besar in contravention of their earlier pledge to give the seat to PKR.
“A few media statements given by the PAS leadership showed that PAS wished to send in more than one name (for mentri besar) and PAS will also nominate PKR assemblyman for the post,” he said.
On Thursday, PAS secretary-general, Datuk Mustafa Ali was quoted by the party’s official organ Harakah Daily as confirming that party president Datuk Seri Abdul Hadi Awang had sent a letter to the Selangor Palace nominating three candidates for the mentri besar seat.
Musfata declined to reveal the three names nominated, but it is believed that Hadi has submitted the names of three Selangor PAS Exco members.
“Why does there exist a letter acknowledged by the PAS Secretary-General where three PAS leaders are nominated?” asked Niz Nazmi.
“Why, in a recent statement, was it said that one PAS name and two from PKR are nominated instead? Is this not a breach of understanding that the Selangor mentri besar candidate should be a PKR assemblyman?”
“Why does the PAS Secretary-General not want to confirm the names of nominees sent? Are the names of PKR candidates sent in the recent letter different from the decision reached by PAS on Aug 17?”
He added that it was important for the people of Selangor to receive immediate clarification to avoid misunderstanding on the matter.
Earlier in the day, several senior PAS leaders denied knowledge of Hadi’s letter nominating three PAS exco members.
On July 23, The Pakatan Rakyat central leadership council (CEC) had agreed that the nomination for mentri besar should remain in the hands of PKR although PAS argued for more than one name to be submitted as a candidate.
On Aug 17, Wan Azizah was fielded as the sole candidate for mentri besar. Bukit Antarabangsa Assemblyman Azmin Ali’s name was suggested but the Gombak MP had declined the offer in support of Wan Azizah.