Khalid gestures to reporters after meeting the Sultan in Shah Alam. - Starpic by K.K. Sham
SHAH ALAM: Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim says he will remain in his position and executive councillors who decline to work with him can resign.
He said the provisions in the state constitution allowed him to seek the consent of Selangor ruler Sultan Sharifuddin Idris Shah to make changes to the existing exco line-up.
However, Khalid told a press conference at the state secretariat Monday that he would first engage the exco members and ask them if they were willing to work with him.
"I won't be leaving. If the exco members don't agree with me, they can leave," said Khalid.
Khalid, who met the Sultan earlier in the day, said he had briefed the ruler of his situation.
"I informed His Royal Highness Tuanku that I was sacked by the PKR disciplinary council on Aug 9.
"Tuanku asked me if I still had the confidence of a majority of the state legislative assembly members," said Khalid.
Khalid added that he had informed Sultan Sharafuddin that in spite of his sacking, he still commanded the confidence of a majority of the state legislative assembly members.
"So I will remain mentri besar until further developments," he said.
He said going by the media reports, he had the full support of the four PAS executive councillors.
They are Iskandar Samad, Dr Halimah Ali, Sallehen Mukhyi and Dr Ahmad Yunus Hairi.
A state government can function with a minimum four and maximum 10 executive councillors, according to the state laws.
Both PKR and DAP have stated that their assemblymen would stand united in wanting Khalid ousted as mentri besar whilst PAS appears divided on the issue.