PETALING JAYA: A Sabah parliamentarian warned that Sabahans are "getting fed-up" with the recent spate of kidnappings - the latest case involving a fish farm manager from China.
Kalabakan MP Datuk Ghapur Salleh said Sabahans are now scared for their own safety due to the kidnappings.
“Many agents don’t have business now because tourists from China don’t want to come here anymore.
“Sabahans are fed up with all the promises of the federal government. We have been part of Malaysia for 51 years now but the government doesn’t even think of our safety,” he told the Star Online.
Ghapur was commenting on the kidnapping of Yang Zai Lin of Guangzhou
who was taken from the Wonderful Terrace Fish Farm on Pulau Baik at about 2.45am Tuesday by five gunmen believed to be from southern Philippines.
Eastern Sabah Security Command (Esscom) personnel, including air and sea units, had pursued the abductors who opened fire and escaped to the islands in southern Philippines.
On April 3, Shanghai tourist Gao Huayun, 29, and Filipino resort worker Marcy Dayawan, 40, were kidnapped by gunmen from Singamata Reef Resort off Semporna.
Ghapur said Esscom should be dismantled and the National Security Council (MKN) take over the security aspects of the area.
“Esscom is a toothless tiger. They have no command of the police or the army. It is better to get someone who has power,” he said.
Esscom was formed following the invasion of Sulu gunmen last year. It covers 1,400km of the eastern coast of Sabah from Kudat to Tawau.