PETALING JAYA: Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor (Syabas) announced late Thursday that phases one, three and four of water rationing will continue as planned and that any decision to halt the current exercise must by made by the state government.
Corporate Communications and Public Affairs Manager, Priscilla Alfred said in a statement that though Syabas is responsible to supply water and execute rationing exercises, the decision to halt or carry on with the current rationing lies with the state government.
“It is thus unfair for certain quarters to be pressuring the company to stop water rationing as we do not possess the decision making power,” she said.
Explaining the current rationing process, Priscilla said the method was to have an active supply of water every two days.
“For areas scheduled to have water, the supply valve will be opened from 9am to 11am. However, the flow of water to the homes of users would differ based on distance and the topography of the area,” she said.
She added that consumers who lived near the dams and those in low-lying areas would get water supply earlier than those situated further away and in higher places. In general water was expected to reach all homes by 4.00pm on the first day of supply.
“We hope that this clarifies doubts on whether or not water rationing is being carried out properly,” she said.
With regard the recent cases of burst pipes in Taman Gembira and certain areas in Rawang, Priscilla said that water supply were restored on the same day, once the damage had been attended to.