Fleeing from danger: Patients being led to safety by SGH staff after a fire broke out at one of the hospital’s blocks. — Bernama
KUCHING: A construction worker died after a fire broke out at a building block at the Sarawak General Hospital (SGH).
Teguh Praytino, 35, from Indonesia, was believed to have died due to smoke inhalation and his body was badly burnt in the 5pm incident yesterday.
Three of the workers who were in the midst of welding work managed to escape but Teguh was trapped in the building, said Kuching Police Chief ACP Roslan Bek Ahmad.
The Fire and Rescue Department team recovered his body on the first floor of the building, which was still under construction.
According to the department director Nor Hishamuddin Mohamad, the fire was believed to be caused by sparks from the welding works, which had ignited some flammable construction materials. However, further investigation would be conducted.
More than 150 patients from all nine wards at SGH were evacuated from the hospital’s building and gathered at the tennis court for fear of toxic smoke inhalation.
No other injuries were reported.