KAJANG: Barisan Nasional has yet to decide on its candidate or which component party will contest the upcoming Kajang by-election.
Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin said although Kajang was a seat previously contested by MCA, it was up to the Prime Minister to decide who would contest this time.
“There are many views, but we can’t decide until it has been discussed by the MCA president and other component parties.
“We will decide what will be best. Then, we leave it to the Barisan chairman,” he told a press conference here yesterday.
He said the potential candidate would be one with good standing and could come from any of Barisan’s component parties.
Muhyiddin laughed at a suggestion that national badminton champion Datuk Lee Chong Wei might be a potential candidate and added that Barisan had specific criteria on who could be its election candidate.
The Kajang state assembly seat fell vacant when PKR assemblyman Lee Chin Cheh resigned on Jan 27, paving the way for Opposition Leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim to be fielded there.
PAS Youth: Keep Khalid as MB