JOHOR BARU: A 36-year-old factory dispatch worker died after fireworks exploded while he was lighting them to usher in the Chinese New Year.
Sze Joon Choon lit the fireworks at the stroke of midnight on Jan 31 at his home in Permas here when tragedy struck.
Family members and friends who were also with him watched in horror as the fireworks exploded in his face.
Sze was then rushed to the Sultanah Aminah Hospital where he was later pronounced dead at 7.30am.
Johor Baru South OCPD Asst Comm Sulaiman Salleh said that Sze had died due to severe injuries to his face.
"I warn those celebrating the season to refrain from lighting up fireworks.
"There is no need to take risk our safety especially during a joyous occasion," he said.
ACP Sulaiman added that firecrackers were illegal and the police would take action on anyone found to be in posession of them.
"We also receive many complaints from irritated neighbours of loud fireworks and will take necessary action," he said.