LAHAD DATU: The agency entrusted with security on the east coast of Sabah is taking various measures including monitoring and integrated intelligence work to prevent another intrusion into the state.
"We are thankful because no intrusion has taken place after Tanduo last year," said The Eastern Sabah Security Command (ESSCOM) director-general Datuk Mohammad Mentek in a statement here.
He was commenting on a statement by Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar on Friday on the triumph of the security forces in thwarting an intrusion attempt into the waters of Sabah two weeks ago.
Khalid was quoted as saying that the speedy action of the police (PDRM), Armed Forces of Malaysia (ATM) and Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency (MMEA) foiled the attempt.
He also said the murder-kidnap case involving Taiwanese tourists at Pulau Pom-Pom last year was a wake up call to the security forces to hike up security in the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZONE).
An intrusion by terrorists in Kampung Tanduo, Lahad Datu in February last year resulted in eight policemen and two soldiers being killed.
On the matter, Mohammad said PDRM and ATM under ESSCOM, and the close collaboration of the MMEA was in line with the concept of the National Blue Ocean Strategy towards ensuring national security.
He said that it was crucial the people alerted the authorities on any security threat but at the same time not entertain rumours.
"Currently, under Ops Gasak ESSCOM, via public tip offs and integrated action, we are able to deter further kidnapping attempts in the waters of Sabah," he said.
ESSCOM covers Kudat, Kota Marudu, Pitas, Beluran, Sandakan, Kinabatangan, Lahad Datu, Kunak, Semporna and Tawau.
The formation of ESSCOM was announced by Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak when visiting Lahad Datu in March 7, after the intrusion by the terrorists who came from Sulu, Philippines. - Bernama