Flashback:The StarMetro article on Feb 11 this year on the illegal dumping of waste.
The State has not granted approval to the Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) to go ahead with the plan to convert the riverbank along the Sungai Kelang PJS side into a cemetery.
When asked by StarMetro
about the illegal dumping of waste along the river from the PJS side, Petaling Jaya mayor Datin Paduka Alinah Ahmad said, “We have cleared the rubbish from
the PJS side but we can’t proceed with the development plan for
“We have submitted our plan to build a cemetery to the state and the approval is still pending,” she added.
During the July council fullboard meeting, councillor Raja Fairuz Raja Mazlan said the council should not allow the cleaned-up land, to remain idle as it would once again be abused.
“A similar problem existed in an area in Bangalore, India and the government converted the land into a recreational facility. The quick action stopped the illegal activity.
“The council had spent a lot of money to clear the rubbish at the PJS riverbank. However, we must be quick about putting the land to good use,” she said.
It was recently reported that the council was seeking a RM2mil allocation from the state government to clean the Sungai Kelang riverbank and to build a Muslim cemetery at the Petaling Jaya side of the riverbank in PJS3.
Last week, it was reported that the Kinrara side of the river had a peat fire which lasted five days because of the illegal dumping of waste.
Residents urged the Federal Government to intervene as they claimed the state had failed to stop the unauthorised activity.
StarMetro first reported on the ongoing illegal dumping of waste along the riverbank and into Sungai Kelang on Feb 11.
This was followed by more reports on the peat fire along the riverbank due to scavengers at the site.
It was reported that the illegal dumping of waste into the river had been going on for over 10 years.