Surprise visit: The inspection by Gombak district office and MPAJ confirms the unauthorised activity that has been conducted there. — Photo by ROHAIZTA DARUS
THE Gombak District Office and officials from the Ampang Jaya Municipal Council (MPAJ) have confirmed that illegal sand-mining activities were being conducted at a site off Jalan Ampang in Kuala Lumpur.
Gombak district officer Datuk Nor Hisham Ahmad Dahlan, along with nine officers and personnel from both departments, visited the site located beside the Berembang Indah apartments and SK (2) Kuala Ampang on Tuesday afternoon after StarMetro highlighted the issue.
“This area is located close to the border between DBKL (Kuala Lumpur City Hall), MPAJ and the Gombak Land Office. Upon checking, this spot falls within Gombak District Office’s jurisdiction,” said Nor Hisham.
Further checks revealed that the said land belonged to the Selangor government and was not earmarked for any development.
The area is usually abuzz with activities with at least half a dozen lorries laden with sand seen leaving the site each hour.
However, on Tuesday afternoon, the site was devoid of any activity.
The entrance to the area was also sealed but the officers found a side entrance where they had to climb over a mound of dirt before getting to the site in question.
“This area is definitely being used for sand-mining,” said Nor Hisham upon entering the site.
The officers found two water jets and a makeshift large sift used to wash and extract sand.
They also found a pump and pipes that had been used to siphon water from the Klang River running close to the site, as well as pipes that channelled excess dirt and mud back into the river.
There was also a weighing platform on site, likely used to weigh each lorry before it transported sand out.
“Sand from each lorry can fetch up to RM200,” said Nor Hisham.
Some men at the site who said they were staff, showed documents to the officers claiming that they had approval to dig the site for a building project.
Nor Hisham informed the men to forward all their documents to his office while stressing that no permission had been sought from his department.
He then ordered the men to remove their equipment from the site within seven days or face having them seized.
The matter is being investigated under Section 426 of the National Land Code.
Nor Hisham added that they could be further investigated by other departments including the DID.