THE new Tanjong Karang hospital will only be completed in 2018.
Deputy Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Hilmi Yahaya said construction on the new hospital would only start next year, under the 10th Malaysia Plan (2011-2015).
When the project was first announced in 2013, the hospital was originally planned for completion in 2016,
When StarMetro visited the site last month, only part of the 16.9ha site had been cleared.
Half a dozen workers were seen conducting soil tests for the Public Works Department (PWD).
There is a huge signboard stating that the hospital will have 150 beds, and lists the breakdown of the number of beds in each ward. It also states that it is a project by the Federal Government.
However, there is no information on the contractor, architect, date the project commences or the expected completion date.
In his statement to StarMetro, Dr Hilmi said PWD had started soil testing last year but it would only be completed this year.
He said the land needed a minimum of nine months to settle before construction could be carried out.
Former Health Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai announced the construction of the new RM250mil Tanjong Karang hospital on March 21 last year.
The new hospital is located 6.5km from Tanjong Karang town and 7.5km from Kuala Selangor town.
Dr Hilmi said the new Tanjung Karang hospital would replace the existing one serving about 200,000 residents in both towns.
“This hospital will serve as a minor specialist hospital, with secondary care services offered with the help of visiting specialists and medical officers.
“The new hospital is expected to reduce the number of patients in Sungai Buloh Hospital,’’ he said.
According to ministry plans, the current Tanjung Karang Hospital, which opened in 1967, will be converted into a haemodialysis centre.
It served 114,771 patients in 2012 and the new hospital can serve double this number.