All gone: Firemen putting out the house fire in Sungai Apong.
KUCHING: Eight rooms of a single-storey wooden house at Sungai Apong here have been razed during a noon fire, possibly leaving 31 people homeless.
It is believed that yesterday’s incident was caused by gas leak in the room occupied by a 80-year-old woman, who is immobile.
Fortunately her scream attracted a passer-by, who then managed to take the elderly out just minutes before the fire spread to other rooms.
The Fire and Rescue Department received the distress call around 12.25pm and despatched teams from Padungan, Tabuan Jaya and Batu Lintang stations.
They managed to put out the fire around 12.43pm.
According to a department spokesman, most of the occupants had gone back to their hometowns for the long weekend holiday. The elderly, the spokesman added, was
supposed to follow her youngest son to Serian but decided to stay and watch over their quarter.
“No injury was reported in the incident. However, apart from house, two motorcycles were also destroyed. We are still assessing the losses,” the spokesman said.