Sexual harasser on LRT caught by Prasarana - Metro News | The Star Online


Sexual harasser on LRT caught by Prasarana

Dini posted her ordeal at the LRT station on her facebook.

Dini posted her ordeal at the LRT station on her facebook.

After a 21-year-old college student's sexual harassment ordeal in a train went viral on social media on March 13, the culprit was nabbed by Prasarana Malaysia Berhad auxiliary police yesterday.

Following up to a complaint by Dini Van Haeren who posted on Facebook that she was verbally harassed by the man after boarding the train at the Kelana Jaya LRT station, Prasarana's auxiliary police swung into action.

They collected more details from Van Haeren and secured the footage of the 37-year-old man from their CCTV recordings, which led up to his arrest at the Taman Jaya LRT station on March 16.

Prasarana said they scrutinised CCTV footage to observe the man's travel patterns and communicated with police at the stations along the Kelana Jaya line.

The man, from Lembah Subang, was surrendered to police at IPD Petaling Jaya.

"We have been on the lookout for the past few days and successfully apprehended him at the Taman Jaya LRT station yesterday," said Rapid Rail Sdn Bhd CEO Datuk Zohari Sulaiman, the Prasarana subsidiary which operates the Rapid KL urban rail services.

Zohari reminded passengers to remain alert and calm should they encounter any unpleasant situation and promptly alert the staff, the auxiliary police or even nearby passengers for support and assistance.

On her Facebook page, Van Haeren said just as she entered the train at Kelana Jaya at about 8am towards the city centre, she noticed the man staring at her with a naughty expression on his face.

As she passed him to get into the crowded train, she said he whispered vulgar words to her and continued to make inappropriate faces. He alighted the train after two stops.

Van Haeren shared her experience on Facebook and said that she believed she could have done more to protect herself at that moment, like shouting or telling other passengers on the spot.

Sharing her encounter, she said the Prasarana team responded to her messages on Facebook, and they also emailed her in the quickest and most efficient manner.

“They kept updating me regarding the incident, and they took this matter very seriously. My parents and I were very impressed, and of course, grateful.

"The team was with me throughout the process, after the incident was reported to them.

"We admire their dedication and their relentless pursuit in apprehending the perpetrator and also their professionalism in handling the matter,” said Van Haeren and her parents yesterday.