LEGAL action will be taken against the unscrupulous contractor who demolished a public walkway in Jalan Ampang two weeks ago.
A Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL) spokesman said the culprit would be accountable for the damage done.
“We will make them pay for it after we rebuild the destroyed walkway in the next few days.
"We will make a lesson of this so that it won’t happen again,’’ the spokesman added.
When asked if DBKL had identified the culprits, the spokesman said: “We know who they are and they will be punished.’’
When asked how much damage was incurred, the spokesman said DBKL was not able to determine that yet.
It was learnt that the contractors demolished the walkway to build a private parking bay at the spot.
Last week, a contractor demolished the public path leaving a big pile of mess at the site.
After the incident, DBKL lodged a report at the Dang Wangi police station and barricaded the spot.
However, the contractors came back a few days later and again started carrying out work on the spot despite being warned.
DBKL then lodged a second police report over the matter and enforcement officers confiscated equipment used to demolish the walkway, including a road roller and safety cones.
Witnesses working in the vicinity had said that the contractors carried out the demolition last Friday, saying they were merely following orders.
Suspecting something amiss, the witness called the DBKL hotline to report.
A DBKL spokesman said when the enforcement personnel went to the scene, the entire walkway was just a rubble.
“We do not know who did this and what their motives might be, but we have lodged a police report and will leave the investigation to them,’’ the spokesman said.