Authors | The Star Online

ADVERTISEMENT

Authors


Intan Farhana Zainul

intanzainul@thestar.com.my

Recent and archived articles by Intan Farhana Zainul

20 Sep 2017 | 7:00 AM

KESM Industries Q4 earnings jump to RM13.4mil

PETALING JAYA: KESM Industries Bhd, the world’s largest independent burn-in and test service provider, posted a 67% jump in net profit and generated higher margins for the fourth quarter ended July 31.

As a tester for the integrated circuits (IC), KESM expects the growth catalyst for the semiconductor sector to be driven by the automotive industry moving forward.
19 Sep 2017 | 7:00 AM

Upbeat outlook seen for downstream oil and gas

PETALING JAYA: While equity analysts remain bearish on the oil and gas (O&G) sector, they are more upbeat about the prospects of downstream companies. One reason is that the plunge in crude oil prices benefit downstream players as it lowers the cost of their raw materials.

At the first-half results briefing by Petronas last month, president and chief executive officer Datuk Wan Zulkiflee Wan Ariffin (pic) said Petronas is building on its downstream portfolio to “future-proof” the national oil company
16 Sep 2017 | 7:00 AM

Steel roaring back in earnings

THE local steel industry is back in vogue. A number of steel producers have reported strong earnings from higher steel prices, although some are still in the doldrums. The steel industry has been in a slump the last five years, beleaguered from the oversupply of steel products especially from China.

14 Sep 2017 | 7:00 AM

Globetronics tumbles on earnings downgrade

PETALING JAYA: Shares of Globetronics Technology Bhd took a dive yesterday following an earnings downgrade by Maybank Investment Bank Research (Maybank IB).

Wrong assumption: Research houses have slashed Globetronics’ profit estimates as the new iPhone X does not feature the bundling of wireless earphones. — AFP
13 Sep 2017 | 7:00 AM

EPF, UEM not selling stakes in PLUS highways

PETALING JAYA: Two shareholders of PLUS Malaysia Bhd – the Employees Provident Fund (EPF) and UEM Group Bhd – have reiterated that they have no intention to sell their stakes in the country’s largest highway concessionaire. UEM Group has a 51% stake in PLUS, while the EPF owns the remaining 49%.

Rich assets: For the financial year ended Dec 31, 2016, PLUS’ profit after tax surged to RM308.99mil from RM23.12mil a year earlier.
9 Sep 2017 | 7:00 AM

Are tech stocks overheating?

Tech stocks around the world are on a high. It is no different in Malaysia but can these stocks deliver in terms of earnings growth?

6 Sep 2017 | 7:00 AM

Perisai shares rise on contract termination news

PETALING JAYA: Shares in oil and gas company, Perisai Petroleum Technology Bhd saw improved sentiment following news that it would not take delivery of two jack-up rigs from a unit of Singapore-listed Sembcorp Marine Ltd.

Shares in Perisai rose by 11% to 5 sen yesterday, following an announcement by PPL Shipyard Pte Ltd that it had terminated contract to build the two jack-up drilling rigs worth US$419.50mil (RM1.79bil)
5 Sep 2017 | 7:00 AM

Sarawak to set up own oil company amid ongoing talks with Petronas

PETALING JAYA: The Sarawak state government is going ahead with plans to set up its own oil exploration company called Petroleum Sarawak (Petros), which will be wholly owned by the state, despite the low oil price environment.

Wan Zulkiflee(filepic) said that the partnership with Petros could be similar to other Petronas partnerships, either as service providers or as a partner under the production sharing contract (PSC).
2 Sep 2017 | 7:00 AM

Dialog propelled by Rapid development

Oil and gas company reaps benefits from going downstream

Oil and gas hub: Artist impression of Dialog Group’s oil storage terminal in Pengerang.
2 Sep 2017 | 7:00 AM

Market not affected by ringgit strength

SHOULD we invest in the local stock market based on the ringgit’s strength?

Normal occurrence: Fisher MarketMinder says it is common amid bull markets to see currencies move from weak to strong to flattish and back.

ADVERTISEMENT